Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My Mother's Love for animals




















This is a photo that was professionally taken of Baby. My Mother had Baby before I was born, so it was the early 1940's.

Her love of animals is to this day unmatched by anyone that I know. I grew up living behind the grocery store that my Daddy owned. There were two wooden doors with two screen doors in front of them. People in the neighborhood knew Mother would take in animals, so it was never a surprise when Daddy would go to open the store in the early morning hours and find some little injured or orphaned critter stuck between the screen doors and the wooden doors. I can remember hearing him yell as I would be getting ready for school, "Dammit, Marie! Somebody has left you another animal!" She would take the animal in, give it the medical attention it needed and then find it a home. She was the only person that I knew that carried long gloves and a blanket in the trunk of her car just in case she happened upon an animal that needed help.

I'll add some of the stories of my childhood pets in some following posts and more pictures.


Thought for the day:

There are two things to aim at in life; first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith




3 comments:

  1. I love those stories about your mother and the animals you grew up with. I think it's great that she was so loving and caring towards them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that's too funny that she had a PROFESSIONAL photo taken of that cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me, when is Mattie's scheduled for her photo shoot at Olan Mills???

    ReplyDelete