Thursday, January 15, 2009

MRI's and other forms of torture

Going through the Panama Canal

2003


Have you ever had an MRI? Well, I have friends and family that say there's nothing to it, but if you are clautrophobic, there is a LOT to it. I arrived for my appointment in plenty of time. When I got into the room, I see this huge machine. I was told to lay down on the table and that I would have to be really still. An almost impossibility for me. They lay me down on this table and tell me to put my head in this thing that looks like half a football helmet. That seems okay to me. I put my head in the little cradle and that's when the fun began. Velcro was used to strap me in. Then a cage like thing was pulled down over my face.


This was total torture. I was rolled into the machine and told it would take about 45 minutes. They had put plugs in my ears because she said it would be "loud". Well, it sounded like I was inside a drum and someone was banging on it. I was chastised for not being still. It was awful! Then, after about 30 minutes, I was rolled out, told to remain still, and dye was injected into a vein. Then the fun began again. This time it lasted only about 15 minutes.


I hate it, hate it, hate it! I have to have one of these every year and the dread starts when the appointment is made. I have now learned to partially drug myself and lay a wash cloth over my face. This helps with the closed in feeling.


Anyway, next would be the results. The doctor would call me. So now started the wait.

4 comments:

  1. I agree - they're awful! I've had one done and it's no fun. Even though they give you music to listen to, it really doesn't help that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i would go IN-SANE if i had to do that. ah, i feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished having an MRI that lasted an hour and a half! I was told I was going in for 15 minutes. When I got out of the tube the first time I asked the tech how long I was in there and he said 33 minutes. It was truly torture. The noises were loud and oscillating to the point of making me nauseated. Like being trapped inside of a giant electrical transformer with no hope of ever getting out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean. I have one every year and they are terrible!

    ReplyDelete