Monday, January 19, 2009

He Ain't Heavy - He's My Brother

Joe at about 3 years old
Joe

1st Grade

Joe


Senior Year






Max




1992-2009

Joe and Max


One thing in this life that we are not able to chose is the family that we are born into and the siblings that come with it. I could not be luckier! I have a wonderful sister and brother, one each, both younger. But today I'm talking about my brother because tomorrow is his birthday and it is a perfect time to remember some things about him.

Like the day he was born. He was born at 11:55 pm on January 19th in a small little clinic in Macon. I had just turned seven and remember like it was yesterday when Daddy took me to the hospital to see him. Mother held him so that I could get a good look and I thought he looked yellow, so I kept saying he looked like a goldfish. There wasn't anything wrong, so it must have been the sun coming through the window.

Mother couldn't get used to the energy of a boy when he was little after having two relatively quiet girls. And some of the antics he would pull! Once he needed a hanky, so he got the scissors and cut out the knee of a new pair of pajamas because he needed to wipe his nose! That went over well!!!!

He was all boy! He loved baseball and was really good at it, earning a spot on the Varsity Baseball team at his high school when he was just a freshman. Quite an accomplishment. I remember one time when he drove to Atlanta and the two of us took in a Braves game. It was at a time when the Braves couldn't get a crowd by giving away seats. We sat somewhere around third base and ate hot dogs and had a great time. One of our few brother/sister only outings.

He shares Mother's love of animals and always has had pets. He recently lost his best friend after a long faithful friendship of 16 years. A really long time for a dog, but the hurt is still fresh and I hurt for him because I have felt that pain also. It's hard to get over.

He loves cats too. I told John that the Vet must just "run him a tab" because there's always one of them needing care. And good care they get.

But the thing that most impresses me about my brother is the way that he loved and cared for our Mother when she was dying. He was her favorite and it was always alright with me. I think it was that special bond that sons have with Mothers and I have that with my two sons, so it was definitely okay. He sat by her bed and cared for her better than any professional nurse ever could have. He was gentle and kind. He was the one with her when she died and I think she planned that on purpose. Just the two of them. That was, I am sure, exactly what she wanted.

He has done one other really good thing. He married JoNell and I love her like a sister. There is one thing that I know. If I needed him, in any way, he would come to my aid. It's like a silent security that I know is there. I am, indeed, a lucky sister!




2 comments:

  1. So cute - I've never met your brother, come to think of it. I'm glad you have such a good relationship with him, that's important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetie--does Joe and JoNell know of your BLOG? I know he would enjoy reading your great story of his growing up.

    ReplyDelete