Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Diagnosis


Cruise to Hawaii
2003


This photo was taken on our cruise to Hawaii in 2003. It was shortly after our return home that I made that fateful trip to the ENT's office for words that would change my life. I was going for what I thought would be a routine visit with some answers to my dizzy/balance issues, but in no way prepared to hear what I was about to hear.
The PA came into the exam room and said the doctor would be with me shortly. I really didn't think anything was or could be wrong. The doctor entered the room and in a very matter of fact tone said, "Well, you've got a brain tumor. I think it is an acoustic neuroma and I am referring you to a neurosurgeon." After the words "you've got a brain tumor", I heard blah, blah, blah blah, blah. The PA noticed the look on my face and wrote down the words acoustic neuroma on a piece of paper and handed it to be. She softly said, "Look it up on the Internet. They are almost always benign. Call us if you have any questions."
I mumbled a thank you and headed out to the car. If for one minute, I had thought that I would be hearing anything like that, I would have had my wonderful husband with me. I sat in the car, the hot car, it was August and couldn't move. I had some of the funniest thoughts run through my mind.
Is this life threatening?
How can I tell people this and not have them worry?
Will I need surgery?
Will this tumor grow?
How will this affect my everyday life?
Panic!!!
I calmed down and called my husband. I said, "I have a brain tumor, but don't worry, it's not cancer." I proceeded to tell him that I was headed home to find out what I could about the type of tumor that I had and I'd let him know later. He wanted to come home. I told him not to that I was fine.
Then, I proceeded to call my sister. I gave her the same speech. She said in her own way, "Whaaaat?" I gave her the same "don't worry" speech and told her the same thing. I was just having an out of body experience and this really wasn't happening. I think back about it and it was like I was floating through all these things - like in another dimension.
Next comes monumental research but,
the thought for the day is
Denial is not a river in Egypt!

5 comments:

  1. Carol, this is great that you've started a blog. I'm loving reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Carol - I had no idea what you went through back then. I'm so sorry you had to hear about it like that. Don't you wish doctor's did things differently? I don't know how they could have made it easier, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! My name is Kay and I had an Acoustic Neuroma removed in '95 (when I was 25). I would love to "chat" more with you. You can look at my blog threecurlygirlies.blogspot.com if you are interested in getting in touch! Hope you are doing well now! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's me again - do you visit the AN Forum? I am "Kaybo" - either PM me there or use this e-mail address so we can then exchange our info in a more secure environment! threecurlygirlies@sbcglobal.net Look forward to chatting with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Garth has a brother & a sister who both had an acoustic neuroma. This was years ago & they both had the surgery. 'Hope things go well for you.

    ReplyDelete