Sunday, January 25, 2009

Can You Say "Ouch!"?





Yes, this is what happens when you have Gamma Knife. Here's how I came to the conclusion that it may be worth a try. As mentioned in a previous post, I was referred to a neurosurgeon who explained my options. These were what I was told: 1. Wait and watch. Annual MRI's to check for growth. 2. Gamma Knife Surgery which is cobalt radiation. This should kill the tumor. It will still be there, but it will not grow because the radiation will kill it. 3. Surgery for removal. Here in Atlanta the only surgical option was a craniotomy which is about 9 hours of surgery with about a six month recovery. Also, there are so many things that can go wrong, there are too many to list here.

I came to the conclusion rather quickly that the Gamma Knife was the less invasive and my best option. I scheduled the treatment for October 31, 2003. We had to be at the hospital by 6 AM for all the paper work.

We arrived at the appointed time and I was taken into the prep room where an IV was started and I was hooked to monitors. They washed my head in alcohol. Now, honestly, that doesn't sound so bad, does it? Well, try it in a room that is about 60 degrees! It felt like ice. The nurse was so kind. He kept apologizing and said it wouldn't last long, but the area had to be prepared and as sterile as possible.

Next came the frame. The contraption that you see in the photos. And, yes, it is screwed down to my skull. They gave me lidocaine injections at the site to help numb the area, but at my first "ouch", out came the "good" drugs. They took the photos because the nurse said that she thought all of your family should know exactly what you went through. Sometimes the medication is just too good to remember.

I was then taken to have an MRI. It was the sweetest one that I've ever had because I was totally unaware of what they were doing. I was then taken back to the Gamma Knife room and placed on the table while the neurosurgeon, radiologist, and nuclear physicist mapped my brain coordinates, so that I would be getting the radiation on the exact right spot.

The radiation last for about 45 minutes and since my head was bolted to the machine, I just laid there and watched the Today show. (I always like to see what the cast is dressed up as on Halloween anyway, so I stayed entertained.)

I was then taken to a recovery room to get my sea legs back. After the procedure, my head was bandaged like I had had major surgery and while I was being rolled down the hall, I kept saying "Trick or Treat". Everybody would just laugh and I kept wondering what they were laughing at.

Kaye (my sister) and John were waiting for me. They asked me how things went to which I replied. "It was really good! Matt Lauer was dressed as J Lo and Al was dressed as P Diddy." They had the strangest looks on their faces.

I returned home and it took a few days to recover, but for the moment all was well.

Thought for the day:

Never say never and never say always!

1 comment:

  1. wow - ouch is right! I had seen a picture of this but it's been a while so I forgot what it looked like. It's probably a good thing you (hopefully) couldn't see yourself until after the fact. But hey- as long as it didn't hurt, I guess that's what matters! :)

    ReplyDelete