Sunday, February 8, 2009

Virgil Powers Grammar School

Virgil Powers Grammar School
This is the elementary school that I attended for grades 1 through 7. In Macon they were called grammar schools. Virgil Powers was State Railroad Commissioner, Public Works Commissioner of the City of Macon, and a member of the Bibb County Board of education. He died at the age of 75 in 1894 and was considered a leading citizen of the State of Georgia.

Me in the 2nd Grade



My 3rd grade class
The teacher is Sara Jane Bradley
Can you spot me?



Me in the 7th Grade





My 7th Grade Graduation
Miss Frances Oliver, Principal (on far left)
Teacher (on left) Miss Pauline Bronson and (on right) Mrs. Jean Thomas

I remember every teacher that I had in elementary school. I attended the same school with the same Principal for the entire time.

My teachers were:
1st Grade - Miss Ruth Elder
2nd Grade- Mrs. Anna Ruth Leaptrol
3rd Grade - Mrs. Sara Jane Bradley
4th Grade - Mrs. Jewel Culpepper
5th Grade - Mrs. Annie McDonald
6th Grade - Mrs Jackie Mann
7th Grade - Mrs. Jean Thomas

By the very fact that I can remember all their names should tell that they all left a great impression on me, each in their on way.

Every year we had a Halloween Festival that would be filled with all the usual fair. Then, in the Spring, we had a May Festival. We had a May Pole and one of the highlights of my schooling there was to be in the class that did the May Pole Dance. That might be something to look up if you don't know what it is. Every class would perform a folk dance native to a foreign country. It was quite fun and the big finish would be the crowning of the May King and Queen. I was in the court, but by the time I got to the 7th grade, the program was changed and I was Maid Marion to Robin Hood.

The 7th graders had the special experience of having a Prom. I know most of you do not even know how a prom really works, but ours was the traditional way. When the young ladies entered the room, in a long prom dress, of course, we were given a Dance Card. It was tied around your wrist. Then the young men had to come to you and ask to be put on your Dance Card. There would be general dancing and then an announcement would be made that it was time for Promenade number one. At that point, you would find the young man that had asked for the first dance and you would dance with him. Then you would put your arm through his and promenade around the school yard. You would come back in and there would be more general dancing and then the announcement would come for Promenade number two and you would find that young man. It was the first event that I remember feeling like a grown up.

There are many fond memories of Virgil Powers, indeed!

In 3rd grade photo, I'm on third row, 6th in and in Graduation photo, I am on 2nd row, second in.

6 comments:

  1. Sweetie--sounds really great! Question, what kind of music did you dance to? Would this have been more from some of the "Big Band" era? I assume no "Rock and Roll"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right, no R&R, only the Big Band and swing stuff. Also, google Maypole Dance and watch one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so interesting - I had no idea they did proms that way! Sounds like a lot of pressure though, I hope everyone was asked to dance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone did because back then the teachers were watching carefully. Most of the kids were kind and would not have hurt anyone's feelings on purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How civilized and proper that sounds! What an interesting story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, it was a safe time and everyone did behave properly or that lady on the end, Miss Oliver would paddle you. I long for those times!

    ReplyDelete