Saturday, February 14, 2009

Senior High

A.L. Miller Senior High School for Girls
est. 1931
Hail to the Class that offers more
Hail to the Class of '64
Miller Senior High was established in 1931 for the public education of girls in grades 10-12. The boys attended Lanier Senior High and it was approximately 1 mile from the girls school. The schools were partnered in that Miller provided the cheerleaders for the sports teams and the Homecoming Queen. Other than that there was very little inner action between the two schools. Lanier had a full Jr. ROTC program and if a young man was caught on our campus, he would be punished through the military program at his school. And when I say it was an all girl school, it was. The entire faculty and the Principal were all female. I did not have a male teacher until I went to college.

The curriculum at the school was amazing. I took college prep classes that were very advanced for the times. I took three years of Latin and two years of French. The math was very advanced for the times. We had very strong History and Social Studies departments as well. I did not fully understand how good my education was until my Freshman year of college. My roommates would be up studying until all hours and I would go to bed at a decent hour. I made Dean's List my Freshman year all because of the strong education that I received at Miller.

At the University of Georgia I worked in the Admissions Office. When high school applications came in they were given a plus or minus score based on the high school that the applicant attended. The highest was a plus five and Miller graduates received a plus five. There were only five schools in the State of Georgia that received a plus five and Miller was one of them.


Carol Marie Horne
Senior Year
1964
I was the second oldest girl in my class of about 300. The cut off for the Board of Education was December 1st and my birthday was December 8th, so when I started first grade, I turned seven on December 8th. It did not register that I was the second oldest in my class until my Sophomore year when we were all approaching the magical 16th birthday. One of my friends was 16 on December 1st and I turned 16 exactly one week later. It was quite special to be one of the first to get my license. But with getting that license came responsibilities.

I turned 16 on a Friday. My High School Sweetheart took me out to dinner like a grown-up and it was my first date. (I was not allowed to date until I was 16.) On Saturday morning, my Daddy got me up bright and early and said he had a few errands for me to run. I was sent to the grocery wholesale house to purchase groceries for the store and then off to the meat packing plant to order all the meat for the store. And I thought I'd just be cruising with my girlfriends to all the hot spots!! (By the way, one of my gifts was my own key to the family car. A very large Buick!)

The President of the United States and the First Lady
John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Kennedy
Taken on that fateful day in November, 1963
There are many events that will occur in your life that you will remember where you were and what you were doing when you heard the news. One of those days was the assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas, Texas. I was a senior in high school and had entered my sixth period class Economics. Mrs Brubaker's head was down and she looked distraught. As we all took our seats, she said that the President had been shot. You could hear the intake of breath. This was before schools were equipped with TV's and intercoms. Shortly after two o'clock, another teacher entered the classroom and whispered in her ear and she began to cry. Through her tears she told us that the President was dead.

For the next four days, the Nation mourned the loss. It was on all the TV stations (all three) with non-stop coverage. People would watch through the windows of stores where TV's had been placed and openly cry. It didn't matter what political party you were a member of, truly back then, the Nation came together when a new President was elected. The very thought that something like this could happen was beyond belief. The funeral, with all it's pomp and circumstance, was televised for all to see. Everyone was very saddened. How could this be?
Then through a strange turn of events, I was watching live when Jack Ruby shot Lee Harvey Oswald right in front of the world. I had this feeling of "did I just see what I think I saw?"

The 60's were very turbulent times!

Coming next: Dating in High School and other fun stuff!



2 comments:

  1. Carol - I love hearing about your early years! I especially love the photo - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetie--I thought I hade made a comment before, but apparentlly not. I really love to read about your walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete