Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Junior High


Miller Junior High School
Grades 8 and 9


Miss Clara Nell Hargrove, Principal
The interesting thing about Miss Hargrove is that she was Principal at the Junior High and then moved to the Senior High, so I only had two Principal's all the way through school.


Gym Class
I wanted everyone to see the gym suits. They were royal blue with your last name embroidered on the back. Either white or blue Keds with bobby socks was the uniform.




That is me with my back to the camera.






That is me on the right third from the point.



In the 9th grade, there were gym assistants that wore white gym suits. We assisted the gym teachers by umpiring or being a referee in basketball or soccer. We also marched. We were told that it gave us rhythm. To this day, I can square a corner. Gym assistants called the commands as the marching music played. We played volleyball, basketball, marched, field hockey, and softball. It was quite a well rounded curriculum. But here's the funny. Becoming a gym assistant was quite an honor. It was probably the highest honor that one could receive in Junior High, outside of being elected a class officer. The rules to be named a gym assistant were comprised of a point system along with the grades that you made in the 8th grade. Then at the end of the 8th grade school year, the new gym assistants were named.

I made straight A's my 8th grade year. I had many outside activities, so I was quite surprised to see my name on the list. I HATE gym. But, amazingly, that didn't matter! So, I got to wear the white suit and assist the teachers for my 9th grade year. I still have my referee's whistle on a green and white lanyard.







This is one of the organizations that I belonged to. Tri-Hi-Y
I am third up from the point on the left side.









Miss Adele Connor
9th Grade World History Teacher




I wanted to include this story about Miss Connor. She was tough!!! We started at the beginning of the year outlining the entire history book. By the end of the year it was probably a good 6 inches or more thick. Anyway, her classroom was out on the wing of the school that had the Principal's office, Library, Infirmary and her classroom.

The last day of school before Thanksgiving Holidays we were having our big test that ended the grading period. Miss Connor was out that day to travel to visit family, so the Principal, Miss Hargrove offered to administer the test for her and keep them in her office until her return. The test was the hardest test I think I have ever taken. It was five discussion questions and I still remember the first one. "Discuss the fall of the Roman Empire." Oh well, haven't books been written on that one subject? I did the best that I could, but felt a bad grade coming.

During the Thanksgiving Holidays, there was a fire at the school and that wing was destroyed, along with the tests. I DID NOT START THAT FIRE!!! But, I hate to admit it, I was secretly glad that it happened. When Miss Connor returned and learned the fate of the tests, she gave us a multiple choice test which I aced with no problems.

Junior High was a time of a lot of beginnings - group activities with boys and getting our Learner's Permits. As you can tell by the pictures, it was an all girl high school. At the time I hated it, but later appreciated the quality of the education that I received there.



5 comments:

  1. Tutz--I enjoyed the read. Another excellent trip for you down memory lane! I hope to someday write about my elementary school days, will not be able to add photos because the camera had not been invented yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you have all of those pictures (even though I feel bad for everyone having to wear those uniforms!). I couldn't tell you who my teachers were in middle school and I'm not sure if I have pictures of them anywhere so it's great you have those memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great write up about Miss Conner! I had even forgotten those OUTLINES!

    I was in Ms. Brubaker's class when she told us Kennedy died. All these years I couldn't remember the name of the teacher - but that was it! Do you remember her talking to us about genetics - telling us if we have children with a stupid boy, we will have stupid children (how right she was). She thought we had boys on our minds too much and commented on that often. What great memories, Carol. You have a fabulous memory for detail. I sure wish I could remember all of that. It is fun to read about it, bringing up long forgotten events. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing that we were both in Ms.Brubaker's class on the fateful day. It is etched in my mind. Brenda, I am going to continue on as time permits with other memories and I hope if you have any that you will share them with me!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete